How to Relax and Unwind in Cancun
When it comes to an affordable vacation place where you can enjoy a range of relaxing and fun activities, there’s no better place to visit than Cancun, Mexico. Perfect for beach bums and party goers, Cancun is more popularly known as the Mexican resort city where tropical beaches and endless partying happen. But beyond that, there are a lot more in store for tourists.
If you’re heading down to beautiful Cancun with your family or by yourself, whether it’s going to the beach, exploring the city’s ancient history, or just dining and unwinding, here are the top things you can do:
- Discover Mayan history – for a thorough education in Mayan history, head to Chichen Itza, as it is the top location to learn about this civilization’s legacy. Identified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is easily accessible via group tours. A Chichen Itza tour consists of a tour of the El Castillo pyramid, the Temple of Warriors, and the Observatory. At night, there’s a light and sound show too. If you’re up for some serious hiking, head on further to Coba and climb the ruins and explore the area.
- Explore the underground cenotes – cenotes are created swimming holes due to the gradual breakdown of limestones through a period of time, and Cancun has an abundance of it. Underground cenotes have become a popular attraction because of its enchanting vibe and a flurry of activities fit for everyone – dive, snorkel, zip line, rappel, kayak, swim or simply enjoy the beauty of the stalactites formation that lends to its mysterious beauty. The most notable cenotes in Cancun include Casa Cenote, Dos Ojos Tulum, Actun Ha, Tajma Ha, Gran Cenote, and more.
- Visit kid-friendly sites – Cancun isn’t for the beach bums and party-goers alone, because if you’re tagging along with the entire family, there are perfect places the kids can enjoy too. The Crococun Zoo is home to some of Cancun’s indigenous animals like scorpion snakes and macaws. The Interactive Aquarium at the La Isla Shopping Plaza takes you up close and personal with dolphins and even sharks. Or if you’re up for fun water adventures, the Garrafon Natural Reef Park offers snorkeling, parasailing, dolphin encounters, kayaking, and more.
- Check out museums – learn a thing or two about the Mayan civilization by paying Cancun’s museums a visit. Tag the family along, and explore the civilization’s rich culture with artifacts and exhibitions displayed at the Museo Maya de Cancun. While experience a hands-on museum visit at the San Miguelito Archaeological Site. For an even adventurous take on visiting museums, the Cancun Underwater Museum takes you to an underwater exploration of hundreds of sculptures found beneath the sea.
- Stroll through downtown Cancun – while many people troop to Cancun for the beach, strolling through downtown Cancun can be just as relaxing, and it immerses you in the local life. Mercado 28 offers a plethora of stuff from handmade items to souvenirs. Haggling with the sellers will make the adventure even more fun. Go on a Xoximilco tour to experience how Mexicans party. Eat local in Cancun, sampling ceviche, mole, churros, and even the local pastries with their distinct flavor only found in the area.
Cancun is more than just the typical beach destination, there are a lot more activities to do when you visit the place. Before you trudge on the sand and bask in the sun, make sure to check out the activities listed above and enjoy your stay to the fullest in captivating Cancun!